Sunday, January 25, 2015

{Running Through the Rain}


I was disappointed this morning in the weather. I thought I had planned perfectly for leaving on my run so I would miss the rain. Following the weather report I had seen from earlier in the day, I was all set to head out and was greeted by rain. I grabbed my "yellow ducky" coat, as I call it, and headed out.  It wasn't what I planned for, but I promised myself this run. 

Have you ever planned something and it didn't go the way you would have liked it to? I'll be honest, this has happened to me so many times and I have come to the conclusion that in life things are going to go the way their supposed to...not the way I think they should. 

I was half way into my run and realized that running in the rain really isn't bad at all. It's actually what I wish for on a nice hot summer run. Then I started thinking about why I am running. How I'm wanting to somehow make a difference and help these little babies that are resting in the NICU or who are hopefully holding out in their Mommy's belly.  When you are a soon-to-be-parent or a parent, days worrying over your child seem like today-wet, cold,cloudy, and just down right dark. It uncomfortable, draining, stressful, and taxing to not only your emotions but to your physical well being. I'm not just running for babies, I'm running for their famIlies too. 

Aaron took the brunt of our situation. He went to work, would come by the hospital to see me and hang out and would drive home late every night-it was a solid forty-five minute drive too. He ate on the run everyday and was running on very little sleep while worrying about me and the twins...on top of trying to take care of work and our dogs and house chores (our family and friends were amazing help!). 
Knowing we had Drs and nurses who were experts around us gave us hope. The NICU staff was available anytime if we had questions about the Twins' development and what we were hoping for next. All of those people made a difference in our attitude and it helped us run through our hardest dark and rainy days.

I want families to have the support they need when they are in an uncomfortable and delicate situation like we were. I want them to have hope because it truly exists with continued education. I want families to be able to run THROUGH, not in, their storm and have a beautiful ending to a new beginning like we were fortunate to have. 

I know it's hard to donate to something that you haven't had first hand experience with. I truly hope you never have to. If you haven't already, would you please consider sponsoring me in our March for babies? Www.marchforbabies.org/landcfoulk

Xoxoxo

Danielle
68 to go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment