Monday, March 16, 2015

{A Parent's Dream}

Today is a runners dream..at least in my world. It's warm out, a nice breeze, and the sun shinning on my face.  Days like these just feel good on. After a brutal February of dangerous cold and snow/ice, I
have gotten back on the path and started running-40 to go!

If you are a parent, you'll have to think back, but if you are a soon-to-be parent you will be able to quickly relate to what I'm about to say. Before a child is even born, we have our own idea of what it will be like to be a parent and we dream of the perfect birth of our children. At least that's what I thought would happen. We imagine racing to the hospital, being filled with excitement and nervousness. It's almost like this beautiful whirlwind that ends with a sweet baby boy or girl wrapped up in the most perfect way. You examine their feet, toes, and facial features trying to decide who he/she looks like.

I remember holding both Caroline and Landen. Then I was taken down in a bed to the NICU to see Landen. He was lying in a little bed all alone. With the magnesium I was on, I couldn't do much but look at him. I felt bad he was away from me and the rest of his family. I wasn't in the condition to go down and visit him every hour or so- I could barely get to the bathroom without being unsteady on my feet. Knowing Landen was in good care, since I had met the NICU staff prior to this, gave me a little bit of comfort. But it certainly wasn't apart of my 'dream.'

There are days where the weather is frustrating to runners. The same is true for parents of a newborn child. Sometimes the birth is too soon or there are medical conditions after birth that land the baby in the NICU and not in the mother and father's arms. The birth of a child can go from the most exciting time to the most tumultuous time a parent may experience.

If the March of Dimes March for Babies is a place that hits home with you, friend, or family memeber, please consider a donation to our team. Our team is working hard to help parents both new and seasoned care for when their child is in need.

www.marchforbabies.org/landcfoulk

xoxo
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment